Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia share some similar symptoms, such as pain and fatigue. The diagnosis of both is often the result of a process of elimination, meaning other potential medical conditions are eliminated. With fibromyalgia, muscle pain is generally more dominant than fatigue. In CFS, there can be an overwhelming lack of energy.
WHAT IS CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME?
CFS is a complicated disorder, which is characterized by extreme fatigue that cannot be directly linked to any underlying medical condition. The fatigue may worsen with physical or mental activity, but does not improve with rest. The underlying cause of the condition is unknown, however there are a number of theories including an underlying viral infection, exposure to an environmental toxin or chronic inflammation due to a dysfunctional immune system.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
- Extreme fatigue, not helped by sleep/rest
- Body / joint pain
- Poor concentration / brain fog and memory issues
- Weight gain
- Sugar cravings
- GI issue; bloating, bowel disorders and/or nausea
- Sore throat
- Recurrent infections
- Swollen and painful lymph glands
- Extreme exhaustion or tiredness that lasts for more than a day following physical or mental activity
WHAT IS FIBRYOMYALGIA?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, often accompanied by fatigue, sleep problems, as well as memory and mood issues. Although the cause is unknown, it is believed that fibromyalgia amplifies pain sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals. In other words, patients with fibromyalgia often experience pain in response to stimuli that are not ordinarily known to cause pain.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Consistent body pain that lasts for more than three months, with unknown cause
- Sleep issues
- Depression / anxiety
- Chronic fatigue
- Cognitive difficulty, often referred to as “fibro fog”
- GI issues (i.e., bloating, nausea, as well as alternating constipation and diarrhea – similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
- Tension or migraine headaches
- Stiffness upon waking or after staying on one position for too long
- Sensitivities to chemicals, light, noises, certain foods, etc.
IDENTIFYING ROOT CAUSE OF CFS AND FIBROMYALGIA
Standard medical tests often fail to identify the root cause of why the patient is suffering from CFS or Fibromyalgia. A key challenge in identifying and diagnosing CFS and fibromyalgia is that they often are accompanied by other chronic conditions with similar symptoms. It is essential to treat the underlying cause.
Common root causes and underlying conditions often missed by conventional doctors:
- Undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction (Add a link to thyroid page)
- Other hormone imbalances (i.e., insulin, cortisol, leptin, etc.)
- Viral, bacterial or yeast infections (Lyme Disease, Human Herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), Candida, etc.)
- Gut dysbiosis
- Mold exposure
- Heavy metals toxicity
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Inadequate liver detoxification processes
- Chronic inflammation
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
CUSTOMIZED TREATMENT PROTOCOLS
Dr. Kellman takes a different approach to health; instead of trying to categorize a patient’s symptoms under one specific and often amorphous disorder, Dr. Kellman looks for the underlying cause(s) of the problem and develops a customized treatment protocol specifically designed to address that particular patient’s needs.
Various treatments include:
- Targeted supplementation
- Nutritional support
- Treatment of any underlying hormone imbalance
- Use of innovative technology solutions:
- Novothor: a whole-body, red light therapy bed that uses red and near-infrared light to treat injuries, reduce pain, relax muscles/joints, and increase blood circulation. Rather than just masking the pain with drug therapy, the Novothor addresses the cause of the pain and helps the body to heal.
- Magnesphere: a whole-body immersion system that utilizes precise, extremely low-level electromagnetic fields (EMF) to reset and rebalance the Autonomic Nervous System, allowing your body to return to its innate healing capacity. This enhances relaxation and combats pain and inflammation throughout the body.
- IV Therapy: IVs may include key vitamins and minerals to address any underlying nutrient deficiencies, as well as other natural compounds to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation and increase energy. These treatments also incorporate UVB light directly into the IV. Studies have shown that exposing the blood to small amounts of ultraviolet light can enhance the immune system and have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect. Certain wavelengths of red light have been shown to aid in cell healing and regeneration, and have the ability to stimulate mitochondrial function in cells.
REQUEST YOUR CONSULTATION!
If you have been suffering with CFS or fibromyalgia symptoms, or have been treated but are not experiencing significant improvement, call us today at (212) 717-1118 to schedule an appointment. We will get to the root of the problem. You can feel better, pain-free and energetic again.